Editor, Life Science Editors (2018-present)
Scientific editing, writing, and language editing of grant proposals, job applications, and manuscripts. Contributed to an ongoing series of articles highlighting major discoveries at the IMP in Vienna, which is one of the top Molecular Biology Institutes in Europe
Freelance Scientific Translator (2018-present)
Austrian Academy of Sciences. Translating press releases from German into English.
Scientific Editor and Writer (2018-present)
Part-time position writing and editing grant applications and manuscripts for A/Prof Markus Muttenthaler (Institute of Biological Chemistry, University of Vienna).
Freelance Scientific Editor, Nature Research Editing Service (2016-2019)
In-depth developmental editing and journal submission advice
Freelance Scientific Editor, Bioedit Ltd. and NAI, Inc. (2016-2018)
Language editing and editing for journal requirements.
Freelance Editor, Nature Structural & Molecular Biology (2016-2017)
Primary Manuscript Assessment
Locum Assistant Editor, Nature Structural & Molecular Biology (2015-2016)
Experience includes handling over 150 primary manuscripts; writing research highlights; commissioning and editing News & Views articles; editing Review and Perspective articles. Required effective communication and teamwork in a small team split between London, New York, Boston and Melbourne.
Academic Research Experience
Postdoctoral Fellow, 2013-2015
Dr Kazufumi Mochizuki’s group, Institute of Molecular Biotechnology, Vienna. ‘RNAi-mediated transgenerational epigenetic regulation of transposable elements in Tetrahymena’.
PhD Student, 2008-2013
Prof Marc Bühler’s group, Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research, Basel. ‘RNAi-mediated co-transcriptional gene silencing in fission yeast’; completed Sept 2012, ‘summa cum laude’.
Masters project, 2007–2008
Wellcome Trust/Cancer Research UK Gurdon Institute, University of Cambridge – Prof Andrea Brand’s group – ‘The role of sevenup in the regulation of temporal identity transitions in Drosophila neuroblasts’.
Undergraduate Research, 2007
Institute of Molecular Biology, University of Zurich – Prof Walter Schaffner’s group – ‘Single-strand annealing (SSA) in Drosophila msh6 mutants’.
Undergraduate Research, 2007
Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge – Prof Ernest Laue’s group – ‘Modification of a high-throughput screen for soluble domain identification’.
Undergraduate Research, 2006
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry, Munich – Dr Stefan Müller’s group – ‘The role of nucleolar SUMO proteases in the regulation of sumoylation’.
2008–2012 PhD, Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research, Basel
‘RNAi-mediated co-transcriptional gene silencing in fission yeast’ Group of Prof Marc Bühler – completed Sept 2012, ‘summa cum laude’
2004–2008 Pembroke College, University of Cambridge, UK BA & MSci (Hons)
Natural Sciences Tripos 2.1 Specialised in Biochemistry in the 3rd and 4th years
2002–2004 Sir Thomas Rich’s School, Gloucester, UK
A levels: Biology (A), Chemistry (A), Maths (A), German (A) Advanced Extension Award: Biology, German
Anhydrous Hydrogen Fluoride Cleavage in Boc Solid Phase Peptide Synthesis. Methods Mol Biol 2103:41-57.Noto T, Kataoka K, Suhren JH, Hayashi A, Woolcock KJ, Gorovsky MA, Mochizuki K (2015). Small-RNA-mediated genome-wide trans-recognition network in Tetrahymena DNA elimination. Mol Cell 59(2):229-42.
Woolcock KJ and Bühler M (2013). Nuclear organisation and RNAi in fission yeast. Curr Opin Cell Biol 25(3):372-7.
Keller C, Adaixo R, Stunnenberg R, Woolcock KJ, Hiller S, Bühler M (2012). HP1Swi6 mediates the recognition and destruction of heterochromatic RNA transcripts. Mol Cell 47(2):215-27.
Woolcock KJ, Stunnenberg R, Gaidatzis D, Hotz H-R, Emmerth S, Barraud P, Bühler M (2012). RNAi keeps Atf1-bound stress response genes in check at nuclear pores. Genes Dev 26(7):683-92.
Woolcock KJ, Gaidatzis D, Punga T, Bühler M (2011). Dicer associates with chromatin to repress genome activity in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Nat Struct Mol Biol 18(1):94-9.
Keller C, Woolcock K, Hess D, Bühler M (2010). Proteomic and functional analysis of the noncanonical poly(A) polymerase Cid14. RNA 16(6):1124-9.
Kappeler M, Kranz E, Woolcock K, Georgiev O, Schaffner W (2008). Drosophila bloom helicase maintains genome integrity by inhibiting recombination between divergent DNA sequences. Nucleic Acids Res 36(21):6907-17.
Woolcock K (Mar 2016). Using T cells to detect noncanonical translation. Nat Struct Mol Biol 23(3):191.
Woolcock K (Feb 2016). Structure of a DNA enzyme. Nat Struct Mol Biol 23(2):97.
Woolcock K (Dec 2015). Replication- and transcription-independent histone exchange in oocytes. Nat Struct Mol Biol 22(12):947.
Woolcock K (Oct 2015). Reversible aggregation after heat shock. Nat Struct Mol Biol 22(10):758.
Jan 2014 – EMBO Long-Term Fellowship
Positions of responsibility
Postdoctoral representative at IMBA, 2014-2015
Responsibilities included representing IMBA postdocs at team leader meetings; helping to organise additional training, career and social events, as well as the Vienna Biocenter Postdoc Seminar Series.
- May 2012 RNA 2012: The 17th Annual Meeting of the RNA Society, Michigan, USA. Travel grant received from the RNA Society.
- May 2012 7th Microsymposium on Small RNAs, Basel, Switzerland. 3rd prize for best student/postdoc talk.
- May 2011 Joint PhD meeting with Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG), Barcelona, Spain
- Jan 2011 TriRhena Chromatin & Transcription, IGBMC Strasbourg, France
- Jan 2011 Swiss RNA workshop, Bern, Switzerland
- Mar 2010 Epigenetic Regulation in Cell Fate & Disease, IMP Vienna, Austria.
- May 2015 10th Microsymposium on Small RNAs, IMBA Vienna, Austria
- Dec 2014 Max Planck Freiburg Epigenetics Meeting, Freiburg, Germany
- Mar 2011 Keystone Symposium on the Mechanism and Biology of Silencing, California, USA. Scholarship awarded by the National Institutes of Health.
- Oct 2010 EMBO/EMBL Symposium: The Non-Coding Genome, Heidelberg, Germany
- Sept 2010 7th Annual Meeting of the NCCR ‘Frontiers in Genetics’, Saas Fee, Switzerland
- June 2009 Joint PhD meeting with LMCB London
- May 2013 IMBA/IMP: Grant Writing Workshop
- Oct 2012 EMBL Advanced Course: Next Generation Sequencing Data Analysis
- Aug 2012 FMI Workshop: Leadership & Management (Golin Wissenschaftsmanagement)
- Apr 2012 FMI Workshop: Women in Science
- Oct 2011 FMI Advanced R Course: using R/Bioconductor for microarray and deep sequencing data analysis
- Feb 2011 FMI Introduction to R and Bioinformatics
Native English, fluent German (passed ÖSD C1 exam with 97%, April 2016)