- Founding Editor of Trends in Cell Biology (1990–1995)
- Freelance editor for Current Biology (1996–1997)
- Editor of The ELSO Gazette, e-magazine of the European Life Scientist Organization (2000–2005)
- Independent science editor (2004–present)
- Consultant providing editing services to PLOS Biology (2009–present)
In these positions, I gained experience revising articles for clarity of content, organization and style, as well as in selecting articles for peer review and administering the peer review process.
- Freelance science journalist writing for Science, The Lancet, New Scientist, Molecular Medicine Today (1996–1998)
- Editor contributing news and features to The ELSO Gazette and the ELSO newsletter, as well as writing policy articles for ELSO that have appeared in Science, Nature, etc. (2000–2005)
As a journalist, I have written articles for a broad scientific audience (eg. New Scientist) as well as for more specialised scientific readers (Science, Molecular Medicine Today) and the medical profession (The Lancet; Journal of Investigative Dermatology).
- Information specialist to the laboratory of Prof. Steve Jackson at the Wellcome–Cancer Research UK Institute, Cambridge University, UK (1998–1999)
In this unusual position, I helped the lab head and his team with many tasks including writing grants and reviews and editing research papers.
- Postdoctoral fellow with Graham Warren in the Cell Biology Division of EMBL, Heidelberg (1983–1986)
- Postdoctoral fellow with Larry Gerace in the Department of Cell Biology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore (1986–1988)
- Postdoctoral fellow with Paul Russell in the Department of Molecular Biology, Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla (1988–1990)
During my career as a postdoc, I worked in three excellent research institutes. My work from this time is published in the Journal of Cell Biology, Nature and the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA. orcid.org/0000-0002-7881-7235
The European research council on the brink.
Simons K, Featherstone C.
Cell. 2005 Dec 2;123(5):747-50.
DNA double-strand break repair.
Featherstone C, Jackson SP.
Curr Biol. 1999 Oct 21;9(20):R759-61.
The many faces of WAS protein.
Science. 1997 Jan 3;275(5296):27-8.
Fission yeast p107wee1 mitotic inhibitor is a tyrosine/serine kinase.
Featherstone C, Russell P.
Nature. 1991 Feb 28;349(6312):808-11.
A monoclonal antibody against the nuclear pore complex inhibits nucleocytoplasmic transport of protein and RNA in vivo.
Featherstone C, Darby MK, Gerace L.
J Cell Biol. 1988 Oct;107(4):1289-97.
Newly synthesized G protein of vesicular stomatitis virus is not transported to the Golgi complex in mitotic cells.
Featherstone C, Griffiths G, Warren G.
J Cell Biol. 1985 Dec;101(6):2036-46